Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Day in Bangkok

So my flight from Seattle to Bangkok arrived at 1am Thai time, which is sort of inconvenient, but I had a reservation at the Lub D hostel in Siam and I knew they had 24-hour checkin, so after grabbing my checked bag I took a taxi straight there. Found my mixed dorm and tried to quietly arrange myself for bed without disturbing the others and mostly succeeded.

Hostel lobby

I woke up the next day with only one main mission in mind, to book a flight to Krabi the next day. I probably could have done this online in advance but I'd heard that this was unnecessary and no cheaper so I didn't. I hailed a tuk-tuk for a travel agency and booked a flight for the next day. Success.

After that I decided to check out Chinatown, so I rode the tuk-tuk there and started walking around. I've been to a few other Chinatowns in the world, and this one wasn't much different, except I stumbled upon a Buddhist temple named Wat Mangkon Kamalawat. Lots of people were buying flowers and papers and incense, apparently to offer as gifts, but I didn't really understand it. So instead I walked around and took pictures and tried not to offend anyone.

Wat Mangkon Kamalawat

After wandering around Chinatown for a while, I realized I was hungry so I took a ride back to Siam Square and started hunting for Thai food. I actually had little success until I went into the Siam mall and ordered some curry in the food court. Really good and remarkably cheap.

I then wandered around the mall and found a wax museum which I thought might be fun. It was, and I convinced some strangers to help take some photos for me.

Bend It

Wolf It

Next I headed back to the hostel, which is really nice by the way, and saw a flyer for a nearby massage place, with a price of only 360 baht ($12) for an hour-long oil massage. Sold! It was really good and professional and well worth the $12.

After the massage, I took a nap and got my phone charged so I could go out a bit later. I wasn't sure where to go, but I eventually decided to go to the Hard Rock for dinner and a beer and then go to Club Insanity. I ended up meeting some people at the Hard Rock from Maldives / Russia / Ukraine and somehow convinced them to come as well so we did. The club was pretty wild with electronic dance music and plenty to drink, so I found it pretty amusing and stayed there pretty late until it was time to take a taxi back to the hostel. After all, I had a flight to Krabi to catch.

Club Insanity

No comments:

Post a Comment