Monday, January 31, 2011

Slacklining the Spires!

[This post is backdated and from memory. Apologies.]

So this guy named Richie, from Canada, and some other guys decided that they wanted to set up a slackline between the spires at Potrero. I'm not exactly sure how they did it, but I suspect that they climbed up to the saddle between the spires and then had two teams of climbers climb the two spires at the same time with some slackline webbing attached to them. This is what it looked like from the road:

I don't know who that is, but they walked all the way across!

Quest and I climbed Crack Test Dummies (5.7 / 5.9+) to get up there, to see if we had the balls to try to slackline across the spires. Here's us up there:

Good times!

As it turned out, Quest was terrified of the idea of slacklining, and decided to do a Tyrolean traverse instead. He was still scared, but he did it.

Quest finally relaxes and starts having fun.

I also decided to do the Tyrolean first before thinking about trying to walk the line.

Incredible feeling of exposure!

I put my foot on the line to see how it felt, but it looked like I'd have to walk out kinda far to not fall on the rocks under the start of the line. Also my slackline skills were not exactly up to par, so I wussed out.

Pretending I'm about to do it.

Quest also thought about it, but decided not to.

Nice pose!

So yeah, the Tyrolean was really fun, but next time I want to make sure I have enough practice / confidence slacklining to feel like I could try it without falling right away :D.

No comments:

Post a Comment